Saturday, March 12, 2011

Amazing Strawberry Mango Crisp

This is one that I actually didn't cook, or even find the recipe for. I found a super deal on mangoes this past week and bought a case of 9 large ones. No clue what I'd do with them, but there are worse dilemmas in the world to have to deal with. Then, stopping at the store on the way home, B picked up three large cartons of strawberries that were super cheap, probably because they were mere minutes away from being overripe. I was happy to have them, but realized I'd have to use them and quick like.

So I charged B with finding and making a dessert with the two fruits as I was busy finishing making dinner. He looked on-line and found a recipe for Strawberry-Mango Crisp (though sadly I don't know where he got it in order to give credit). We had all necessary ingredients (I love it when that happens!) so he whipped it together and let it bake while we ate dinner.

The verdict? Cobblers and crisps and such are always a safe bet in our house, any time of the year. But this one? Dear god, this one... I would marry this dessert if it were legal. Holeeeeeeeeee crap is it ever good. I just haven't the words... it could not be simpler (especially for me since B made it! ;) and it's just freakin' delicious.


Strawberry Mango Crisp
3 cups strawberries, chopped
3 cups mangoes, chopped
4 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp flour
topping:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter

Mix fruit, sugar and flour and spread in the bottom of a buttered or oiled 9x13 baking dish. Mix topping ingredients together and cut butter in using a fork or pastry blender. Work until butter is evenly distributed, mixture should be crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over fruit and place in a 400 F oven for about 40 minutes, or until topping is golden and fruit is bubbly.

Best served immediately, but there's nothing wrong with sneaking a few spoonfuls of the leftovers directly from the fridge ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment