Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mmmm, lemon-y!

I love finding random recipes and realizing I have all the ingredients, then having them come out oh-so-good. While taking stock of the fridge, I realized I had a few lemons (and limes) in the fridge that were about to go south, so thought it best to use them up. [aside: I still have a tough time going to the grocery store for lemons... I miss my lemon tree back in California! I could literally just trot out back for gigantic lemons any time I needed them, not pay an arm and a leg for them at the store *sigh* The joys of living in the great white north, I suppose :P ] I rummaged through my recipe binder and found one for lemon bread. It's hand written so unfortunately I don't know where I got it from... but orphaned or not, this one came out too tasty to keep to myself.

Lemon Bread1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup soy milk
1/4 cup oil
zest of 1 lemon and 1 lime
1 tbsp. lemon/lime juice
Glaze:
2 parts citrus juice to 1 part sugar. I had 3 tbsp. of lemon/lime juice to use and added 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar to that, mixing to dissolve the sugar completely.

Stir dry ingredients together to mix, then add wet ingredient and mix well, until smooth. Batter will be thick and glossy.

Pour into a greased loaf pan or square pan (I used my usual pyrex loaf pan and the thing towered up over the edges, then settled back down. If you're afraid of it out-growing the loaf, simply make it in a square pan instead) Bake at 350 F for about 55 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. The top of mine got a little too dark (from it rising up so high) so make sure you give it plenty of clearance from the top element.

Once out of the oven, spoon the lemon syrup onto the top of the bread. I used a fork to poke some holes in the top of mine to allow the syrup to soak in quicker, as it was dripping everywhere. Let it cool completely on a wire rack, as the flavor will develop/mellow as it sits. I wrapped mine in plastic wrap over night and this morning it was moist and delicious. I expect that if you left it uncovered it would be a bit more crisp on top, so cover or uncover as you prefer. Once you cut into it, though, make sure you keep it covered or it will dry out. Though in our house, things like this don't last long enough to dry out!

No comments:

Post a Comment