Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Raspberry Pie... like a mouthful of summer

One more from the Green Door cookbook... this one really surprised me. I'm not generally a fan of jelly-like desserts, especially not in pie form. But I tried this a while back when I found a bag of frozen raspberries hiding in the back of the freezer and needed to use them. I didn't expect great things from this one, but I think it has been my favorite of the recipes in that book so far. It is both sweet and tart, and even though was made from frozen berries, came out tasting like summer in a pie crust. I was also quite pleased with the crust itself, it was crisp and crumbly and the nuts gave a nice flavor to the overall dessert.

Just writing about it now makes me want to make it again, though sadly I'm all out of frozen berries. Rest assured I'll be making one of these puppies as soon as summer berry season rolls around again!

Raspberry Pie
Crust:
1 cup large flake rolled oats
1/2 cup almonds
1 cup wheat flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup maple syrup

Filling:
4 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen
2 cups raspberry or apple juice
1/3 cup corn starch
1 pkg gelatin (agar flakes can be used if you object to gelatin)
3/4 cup maple syrup

In a food processor, grind oats, almonds, salt and cinnamon until powdered. Should be the consistency of fine sand. In a bowl, mix with flour and stir thoroughly. Add oil and syrup, mix until dough comes together. Press into a greased pie plate. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool while preparing the filling.
In a small bowl mix 1/4 cup of juice with contents of gelatin packet and stir to dissolve. Heat remaining juice in a large pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium and add gelatin mix to pot and stir well to dissolve. In another bowl, mix maple syrup with corn starch until no lumps remain. Add this to the pot and stir constantly with a whisk until mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, still stirring, then add raspberries and allow to cool completely. Pour into pie shell and refrigerate 1-2 hours until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment