Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Muffins and Jam, together at last!

If it's one thing I have too much of, it's jam. I have tons of it. Every year I say I won't make any until we've used what we have, but then I stumble on some amazing deal at the market and before I know it, I have 52 more jars of the sticky sweet stuff crammed onto the preserves shelf. I wonder if there is a 12-step program for obsessive jam making...

So! I'm always on the lookout for a recipe to use up some of my considerable hoard. I came across a recipe for jam muffins over at Serious Eats and did a little tweaking. The end result was extremely tasty and I will enjoy them as breakfast for the rest of the week. Below is the recipe as I ended up doing it:


Jam Muffins
3 oz white flour
3 oz wheat flour
3 oz oatmeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 c soy milk
1/4 c oil
1 tbsp vanilla
1 egg
2 tbsp honey
2/3 c jam

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl, mix wet ingredients except for jam. Blend wet and dry together then spook jam in, stirring only enough to streak through the batter. Spoon into muffin tin (with liners or buttered) and bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.

I had extra jam to use so filled the liners with half of the batter, spooned a bit of extra jam into the middle, then filled with the rest of the batter. A rather messy venture, though they came out well. I wonder if it would be easier to squirt a bit of jam into the middle of the muffins after they were mostly cooked? Will have to try that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment