Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Field Trip! Les Glaceurs

I recently had my arm twisted into going to Les Glaceurs in the Old Port by some of my co-workers. Horrible, I know... I should probably lodge a complaint about it, but I don't want to be the one to rock the boat... I mean, I do have to work with these people every day. *heaves a sigh* Tough life, eh? ;)

As we work not very far, we enjoyed a summery evening stroll through the Old Port (and summer construction) to get there. It is an unassuming little store front, tucked away next to Notre Dame basilica that sells some pretty amazing cupcakes and ice cream. Their website has the impressive list of flavors, though not all of them are available every day. There seem to be about 5-6 flavors on offer at any given time, often with a Flavor of the Month. (July's FotM is Strawberry Shortcake)

We each made our choices and sat down to see what all the fuss was about. I had chosen Red Velvet:




And my god am I glad I did. I cannot remember another cupcake in all of my adult life that was as good as this one was. The cake was ridiculously soft and moist and the cream cheese frosting was smooth and melty and rich. The only tiny negative would be that the cake was so moist it left my fingers a bit oily, but hey, that's what napkins are for! ;)

Other kinds were also tested:
I was a good girlfriend and brought a few home for B to try as well (and to share with me, of course ;). We had the Moka (above), Choco-mint, and Vanilla-Lemon, all of which were tasty, but I found the buttercream frosting used on those to be slightly gritty in comparison to the frosting on the Red Velvet. But then I've never really cared for most icings, so I might not be the best judge of their virtues. Or perhaps the dreamy Red Velvet simply ruined me for all other cupcakes ;)

We sat and chatted and enjoyed our cupcakes, as well as people-watching out the window. The view we had from our seats wasn't too shabby:
If you're anywhere near the Old Port (or have the means to get there), Les Glaceurs is well worth a visit. They offer full size cupcakes individually or in boxes of 2, 6 or 12. You can also get a box of a dozen mini cupcakes (not available individually), which make very cute desserts when you're having company, or simply to test drive some of the flavors without getting the full sized version. They also have ice creams and sorbets by Le Glacier Bilboquet for the hot summer months, and a variety of coffee for the cold winter months. And if you go, may I recommend the Red Velvet ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment