Friday, July 15, 2011

Pineapple sorbet (without an ice cream maker)

Living with a lactoad is tough. B is lactose intolerant, so I have had to become proficient in finding ways around certain things like cheese, milk and ice cream while cooking. *le sigh* So no matter how much I think ice cream makers are neat gadgets, I just can't justify buying one. And if you can't use it to make ice cream, then really what's the point? ;)



There are quite a few methods you can use if you don't have an ice cream maker, so this week I decided to improvise one with the freezer and the food processor, as on a whim I decided to make pineapple sorbet. It seemed to be the summery dessert that was missing from our lives, so I did a bit of research and found a really good resource for making sorbet over at Zoe Bakes. She gives some great advice and a simple ratio recipe for making any kind of sorbet and finding the perfect balance between juice and sugar. The recipe I chose to do is as follows:

Pineapple Sorbet
1 large can of pineapple chunks in juice, blended
1 1/4 cups simple syrup (this is approximate, the amount you need may vary based on the sugar content of syrup the fruit is in)
3 tbsp rum (optional but recommended)

I simply dumped the whole tin of pineapple into a food processor and whizzed it until it was smooth. I added the simple syrup and rum, put it in a bowl with a lid and stuck it in the freezer, taking it out every few hours to stir. This isn't strictly necessary, but it helps keep the sorbet slushy and workable. If you don't have time to babysit it, you can leave this step out. Once frozen firm, I removed it from the bowl back into the food processor and gave it another spin. To help break down the chunks (and to encourage a soft consistency) I added a bit more rum, but be sparing with alcohol if you use it. While it helps keeps the sorbet soft, too much alcohol can prevent the sorbet from freezing properly. I let it process until it was smooth, about 2-3 minutes, then placed it back in the container and back into the freezer for a few hours. And that's it! Simply scoop and serve.

Since I used the last little bit in the bottle of rum we hand on hand, there were a great many Jack Sparrow impressions while we enjoyed the sorbet. It is cool and refreshing and overall quite easy to make so long as you have the freezer space and the patience. Plus I love finding basic recipes like Zoe's that allow you limitless variations to experiment with. I imagine this pineapple version would be quite nice with a bit of fresh mint leaf thrown in the syrup... or maybe even Thai basil. I think I may try a coconut/vanilla soy version next... *contemplative finger wiggle*

No comments:

Post a Comment