Sunday, October 23, 2011

Candy corn counts as a vegetable, right?

So here we are, a week from my favorite holiday of the year, Halloween. It always seems to sneak up on me so I don't often do much to celebrate it, though this year I had the rare pleasure of venturing to Salem, MA with one of my best friends from back home. I'm still putting together a post on our adventure, so instead today I share with you a project I've been waiting to do this month: Candy Corn Cupcakes.




I've seen quite a few interpretations on the idea on other blogs this month, so today I tried my hand at them as well. First things first... I did not do them from scratch. You can of course do the cake batter and frosting from scratch if you wish to. Myself, I don't really have any problem with the from-a-box stuff... plus it was the visual end result of this recipe that was more important to me, so I just grabbed a box of Duncan Hines white cake mix and whipped white frosting.

I mixed up the cake batter as directed, then separated it into two bowls. To one I added yellow food coloring, and to the other I added the same amount of yellow and a few drops of red to get orange. It took a lot more of the yellow than I expected, so if you just have one of those little grocery store boxes of the basic colors, you may want to pick up a bottle of just yellow to do this recipe. You could also do it in three layers, leaving the top one white, but I preferred the look of the frosting counting as the white layer.

I then put paper liners in my muffin tin and spooned a bit of yellow batter into the bottom of each one, then topped with the orange until the cups were about 2/3 full. Into the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes.... then the hardest part: letting them cool. I'm the last person to preach about patience, as I have next to none. But do what you have to do in order to distract yourself from frosting these puppies until they are completely cool, otherwise the frosting will melt and slide all over the place. There are worse things in the world than a frosting avalanche, but it's not ideal when you're going for a nice presentation, yanno? ;)

Once cooled, simply frost with the white frosting of your choice. You can go fancy and pipe it on, or you can simply use a knife or spatula and spread it. Top each one off with a candy corn and you're done! A soft and sweet and brightly colored way to enjoy our inner child's favorite holiday ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment