Saturday, October 1, 2011

No such thing as too much jam

So, the jam exchange is complete. I sent off my jam to my partner and got hers in the mail this past weekend. I was so excited to try them in fact, I proclaimed it was pancakes for dinner just so I'd have an excuse to open them all for a taste ;)

Here's how we did...


I did two batches, myself. The first one was a new recipe I wanted to try... Microwave Citrus Marmalade. I started with the Lemon Marmalade recipe over at Towards Sustainability, but used a variety of citrus instead of just lemons. I like that citrus comes with it's own pectin built in so there is no need to add more, plus microwaving it made it even easier. I was very happy with the end result of this one... I actually had to restrain myself from running out for more citrus to try other combinations. I kept a couple of jars myself, it will be a nice pick-me-up during the winter months and would make a really simple but tasty gift around the holidays, too.


The other jam I made was a simple blueberry, using fresh picked wild Quebec blueberries. They are something special here and are in season during a very narrow window in the summer, so I made sure to take advantage by making a batch of jam. I didn't do anything fancy with this one, just blueberries, sugar and pectin... the berries are so good on their own I couldn't bring myself to add anything else. I also gave a jar of this one to my mom who liked it so much she requested more. Lucky for her I have some left ;)


Now on to the ones I received in exchange. I got four jars from my partner, two of which we tried on our pancakes. The first was blackberry which made me smile. I really like blackberry and boysenberry jams, and this one was no exception. Thick and tart, it tasted delightfully summery. I'm going to have to nurse this one to make it last as long as I can.



And last but not least, we had Peach-Cherry jam, which was a new one for me. I've made peach jam (a summer favorite) and I've made cherry, but never the two together. It was really nice... the buttery sweetness of the peaches with the slight tang of the cherries, and a beautiful bright red color. I think I'll have to give this one a try myself next summer.

Peach-Cherry jam

I also received two little extras from my partner. One jar of candied jalapeno slices, and one jar of tomato jam. Now the jalapenos I'll have no trouble using up. B and I both like spicy things and I've got a few ideas already of how to work them into a dish or two. The tomato jam, though, I'm not sure what to do with. I've read about it on a few other blogs recently (it being tomato season), and find it intriguing, but don't really know how to use it. I'm guessing it's more savory than sweet... do you use it like ketchup? I'll just have to educate myself on it!

A big thank you to my partner, Scrambled Henfruit, the jams were absolutely delicious... thank you so much for putting the time and effort into sharing them with me! And to Steph Chows for organizing the whole thing... it's oddly satisfying to see complete strangers connect over something so simple as a jar of jam. I look forward to participating in it again next year!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so you liked your jam! We've been enjoying the jam that you sent as well. Both the citrus marmalade and the blueberry jam have been liberally slathered on biscuits and toast, and heartily consumed. :) The tomato jam that I sent is actually more sweet than savory- try it with grilled cheese, or with cream cheese on crackers. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for joining! All of the jams and fun extras sound delicious!! I've never had tomato jam either! But it sounds interesting to try with grilled cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete