Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Baking with Julia: Chocolate Truffle Tartlets

I made these little beauties last week, and every time I say the word "tartlets", I do this (not the "call me Judy" bit, the repeating 'tartlet' bit. Be warned, slightly strong language at the beginning ;) :


Obscure Friends references aside, they came out perfectly! Being the more difficult of the two recipes for the month, I was a little worried at first, as I've never really made anything like this, but they really weren't that difficult to do. I set aside the afternoon so I wouldn't be rushed, and everything went quite smoothly. The crusts were probably the toughest part, as I'm not used to working quick with a dough like that. But I kept my finger tips cool by dipping them in ice water now and then, and tried hard not to overwork it... at the end they seemed a bit melty so I probably let them get too warm, but they baked up fine and the finished product was tasty, if a little crumbly.  

Here they are before baking:


And here is the end result, as B and I had them for dessert one evening:


I didn't take any pictures of the texture inside the tartlet because, frankly, I was too busy enjoying it. But the inside stays thick and gooey, much like a truffle, and paired with the whipped cream and berries they were incredibly delicious. The tartness of the strawberries went perfectly with the rich chocolate.

From one recipe, I had enough to make 8 tartlets, so we ate a few of them and the others were wrapped and frozen. Last night I unwrapped a few and let them thaw in the fridge, and they were just as good as the first night we had them. You can find the recipe with one of this week's hosts: A Whisk and A Spoon,  Spike Does Stuff, Good Eats 'n Sweet Treats, and CookBookHabit.

The chocolate crust was good, but the next time I have a dessert to make for a crowd, I may very well get some pre-made tart shells and fill them with the truffle filling and top with fresh berries or perhaps a coulis. Mmm... that is *definitely* going on my 'to do' list!!!

*Note: At first I was going to simply do one large tart, because I already have a large tart pan, but I stumbled across a set of 6 small ones (pictured above before baking) at a local dollar store. I've noticed a number in the group commenting that they didn't want to spend a small fortune on getting the tins... don't forget to check out your local dollar/discount stores, or even thrift stores! You'd be surprised what you might find! ;) 

21 comments:

  1. Looks very yummy! It seems the texture was a bit different for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use the cookies in mine, so that probably accounted for part of it.

      Delete
  2. Serving them with strawberries and whipped cream was a good idea. It probably lightened the whole thing up a bit. Lovely results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The berries made a huge difference... they were fantastic paired with the richness of the tart. I've seen a few other in the group used raspberries and said the combo was a good one. I guess it's a classic pairing for a reason! :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful (and fudgey) looking tart! LOVE any and all Friends references!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tartlets look great! And I had forgotten about that Friends bit - thank you for the memory! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tartlets look beautiful! Glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tartlets looks delicious, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Friends clip! Your tarlets look fabulous. I agree that the filling was the star of the show, and your idea of using an almond crust is fantastic. This would be a really impressive dessert for guests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I make this over, I would agree that an alternate crust would be a great idea to cut down on some of the richness. I can't believe you found tart pans at the dollar store - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute scene from Friends. Your tartlets look wonderful. What a great tip - I forget what great finds they have at the dollar store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As nice as your tarts look, I am wowed that you found the pans at the dollar store! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya gotta love the Friends reference! :) Your tart looks perfect. Great tip on checking out the dollar stores or thrift stores for the pans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a genious idea to look at the dollar store - wish I had thought of that. Your tartlets look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun to find small tart tins to use for cheap! Great looking tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tart looks beautiful!! We did strawberries too. I thought fruit would be a nice contrast to the intense richness. Nice touch with the whipped cream. I wish I'd thought to do that too. I had some cream in the fridge. We thought these were awesome! I made only 3 tartlets, but I have more chocolate dough in the freezer, and am going to try a variation of the tart next time. I'm thinking chopped up peanut butter cups.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're right about checking out thrift stores. My mom volunteers at one and she's always picking up odd baking pans here or there. I don't think there is a size I don't have.

    Your tart looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the tip on the tartlet pans! I found some at the fancy store and they were $10 a piece. Dollar store sounds doable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was a big-tarter :) Never occurred to me to look at places like that for baking stuff! Your tarts are adorable. Loved this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE that you included a FRIENDS clip! My husband and I love those guys and when I told him what the recipe was he kept saying "tartlet" over and over again (I know, he is so funny:)). The tartlets look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's good to know they freeze well!

    ReplyDelete