Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Review: Maxwell & Williams Microstoven bakeware

This unassuming little casserole dish is, hands down, one of my favorite kitchen items. I love it even more than my immersion blender and my digital scale, put together. Maybe not quite as much as my KitchenAid stand mixer, but then even B has a hard time competing with that. ;)


It is a Maxwell & Williams Microstoven dish... a silly name, perhaps, but it is one worth remembering. The Microstoven line is (as the name suggests) made to be used in the microwave, on gas or electric stove tops, and the oven, as well as being both freezer and dishwasher safe. And it is non-stick. *fans herself frantically* For me, that last one is the best bit... I can bake a batch of gooey macaroni and cheese in this dish and once it is empty, simply wipe it clean with a paper towel.

Hang on, let me say that again... after baking macaroni and cheese in this dish, I can clean it using nothing but a paper towel. (I actually clean it with soap and water of course, but I could just wipe it out and no one would be the wiser!!) For a girl who hates doing dishes, that's huge. There may have been a few tears shed the first time I cleaned it. But ease of cleaning aside, this dish just bakes things well. Everything I have cooked in it has come out perfectly... it heats evenly and I've had success with both savory dishes like stews and casseroles as well as desserts like bread pudding.

They have a large variety of shapes and sizes as well, including tajines, pie dishes, rectangular baking dishes, etc. They're a little bit more expensive than brands like Pyrex or Corningware, but I've often found them at Sears or The Bay on sale at a good price, and for the superior quality of the dishes, I think they're well worth it. If you come across them, I highly recommend you get yourself a piece (if not more). Bake ware doesn't usually inspire me to gush like this, but the Microstoven pieces have rocked my world. :)

2 comments: