Monday, April 16, 2012

Baking with Julia: Lemon Loaf

Lots of lemon in this week's Baking with Julia recipe. Copious amounts of lemon, and you won't hear me complaining, not one bit! Well, ok, maybe a little bit. See, I grew up in California and in our backyard we had a lemon tree that practically dripped citrus... now that I'm in Montreal, I find it offensive difficult to have to pay a dollar or more a piece for the yellow little beasts. Sigh.

But! What can a girl do but cough up a few loonies in order to make this magnificent stuff:



Since the loaf cake recipe (found here and here) called only for the zest of the lemons, and I certainly wasn't about to waste the things, I also made a batch of lemon curd to go with it. Screw the calories, I can diet some other time! ;)

The curd is, as always, smooth and velvety and rich. If you've never had (or made) fresh lemon curd, you don't know what you're missing. The bright lemon flavour balances perfectly with the buttery richness and it is like spreading candied sunshine on toast, muffins, scones, pound cake, your fingers... not that I would ever do that, of course. Ahem.

The cake served admirably as a delivery device for the curd (then again, so does a spoon ;), but it stood well on it's own, too. I made it over Easter weekend and took it to B's parents' place to serve after lunch, and it was a big hit. Following an indulgent meal of ham and various other goodies, a small slice of this dense yet bright cake was just the thing. It went quickly, and I ended up having to fight B's aunt for the leftovers... she won most of it but I was able to sneak some out to enjoy at home with my curd ;)

I feel like I should be writing a longer post about this one, but really, it was totally drama-free form start to finish (unless you count us fighting over who got the last slice). It came together very easily, and even though I over-baked mine a tad in order to get the middle done (you can see from the extra-browned edges) it was still moist and deelish. I think both the cake and the curd would lend themselves well to variations, too. Lime, orange, grapefruit... pretty much any kind of citrus combination that floats your boat could probably be substituted in here for some outstanding results.

16 comments:

  1. LEMON CURD...so good! Nice shot of the lemon loaf and lemon curd.

    p.s. can't wait to try the skillet pizza. I bought the mozzarella...ready to go! Thanks for finding that gem. I'll let you know how my pizza turns out.

    ~Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/twd-baking-with-julia-lemon-loaf cake/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this recipe too. I actually was looking for some lemon curd in my refrigerator. I didn't find any but loved the bread without it! Your bread looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have naked lemons in my fridge right now---why didn't I think of lemon curd to go with my Lemon Loaf Cake! ;)

    Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made lemon curd to go with ours, too. So good on the toasted loaf!

    I'm in Vancouver and often find myself a little jealous of citrus trees in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not even live in Canada but I am pretty sure I am going to start using the term "cough up a few loonies".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha excellent! I never realized how fun it sounds out of context, too :D

      Delete
  6. This was a yummy recipe. I have never made lemon curd but I think you have talked me into it. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours looks so delicious! Great idea the lemon curd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks delicious! love that you made lemon curd

    ReplyDelete
  9. Slaps forehead. Why, why, why didn't I make lemon curd. Lemon curd is pretty much my favorite thing. Ever.

    Very lovely.

    And as an Upstate NY resident, I defintely get jealous twinges when people talk about citrus trees in their yard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colours of your cake and lemon curd! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! I made lemon curd too, and I think it was the perfect thing to go with the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the lemon loaf. And the curd sounds wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! I even have some lemon curd in my fridge ... I should go get it out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks Lovely !!! I made mine with oranges .... I wish I had also whipped up some orange curd to go with it !!!! it looks yummy !!!!!

    ReplyDelete