Saturday, May 5, 2012

What's on your toast?

There is an Asian market near where we live that I will often wander through on my way home. It can be dangerous for my budget (especially when I'm hungry), but it has also yielded some interesting finds, the most recent of which has become my weekday breakfast of choice:

Black Sesame Butter




Now before you think "Ewww, gross!" and run away, give it a chance. Granted, it's a little unsettling at first, but really is rather striking looking spread on toast:



The tube suggests spreading it on toast (as above), mixing it into milk, or using as a filling paste for buns. I'm not a big milk drinker, unless there are cookies involved, nor do I make filled buns, but who am I not to do as the giant cartoon sesame seed tells me to, so I have it on my morning toast with a cup of tea.

The taste is lighter than you would expect by looking at it. It is lightly sweet and very intensely sesame with the slightest little crunch to it. Not like crunchy peanut butter has crunch, but that slight snap that sesame hulls give when you eat them whole.

It's a little bit pricey, $5 for a 10 oz tube, but with the price of peanut butter going up like it has, it's not that bad, relatively speaking. And if you like the flavour of sesame, I recommend you try and find some for yourself... though word of warning, make sure you brush you teeth before going out after! ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment